The receipt was folded in with the fabric, 7/11/15, from my favorite Portland fabric store, Josephine’s. I had bought a few yards of a fabric that was labeled, ‘Italian Novelty, unknown content.’
It was so cool and odd and beautiful, I bought a few yards. It sat out for a month or two, waiting to let me know what it was going to become.
Beads! It said. Sparkling beads and appliquéd strips all along the bottom edge.
Because I knew beaded pieces can take a while and because I knew that it’s not unusual for me to come back to finish a project and wonder, ‘What in the heck was my plan for this???’ I made a sketch and a few notes.
I began to hand stitch the beads and strips in place. When other projects interrupted, I’d set it aside, then when free, pick it back up again. I’d sew a little, add more, pause and resume.
More beads. And more. I had scattered them around and they were not showing up on the speckled texture of the fabric. So I’d add more. And more. And more.
Later that year a big commission interrupted all else. I knew it would be many months before I could get back to this one so I put it aside with a new note tucked in with the others, ‘Beading completed on front and sides, putting aside to work on custom jacket, 4/18/16.’
And there it sat, on my shelf, patiently waiting. And waiting.
Which finally happened, a few months ago. I pulled it out and began again. I sewed on more and then more beads. I had been wrong about the front being finished, it definitely needed more beads. More and more and more.
Until, finally, ‘All right already. Enough! You’re done.’
Below, all beads on, pinned onto my ironing board to be steamed flat.
Finished! Hooray! And ready for the ACC Baltimore show coming up in just a few weeks, February 21-23.
This jacket and all my others will be there, booth #104.
See you there!