One Kimono, Two Jackets

One kimono usually has enough fabric for two jackets, especially if I use a different fabric for sleeves.
I take apart the kimono, wash the pieces and then the fun part, follow where the fabric takes me.
This beautiful old kimono had flowers and leaves sprinkled around, looking perfect together. But as I spent time with it, I found myself separating the cherry blossoms from the maple leaves.
The first jacket, pieced with only the flowers.
IMG_6507
And the second, with the maple leaves.
IMG_6509
Interesting, isn’t it? How different, they look, but also, sort of the same?

This entry was posted in jackets, piecing. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

8 Comments

1. Martha
    Posted August 20, 2017 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

both so elegant

2. Christina G Sells
    Posted August 20, 2017 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Yes, so different and each amazingly beautiful creations on their own. Hard to believe they are from the same kimono!

3. Elisabeth gillem
    Posted August 21, 2017 at 5:24 am | Permalink

Really striking. Modern and traditional all at once.

4. Kat
    Posted August 21, 2017 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Gorgeous jackets, great use of the design elements in the kimono fabric. Dumb question: Do you reuse the kimono silk lining ever as a lining or do you use modern silk or bemberg for your linings? I know you have used the silk brush washed lining as piecings – “Flame” shows that beautifully.

• Posted August 22, 2017 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

To Kat, thank You!
      No questions are dumb! Kimono linings are perfect for my clothes. However, I rarely it because the pieces have been cut into lengths that are too short for my jackets. Occasionally I find kimono silk lining fabric still in the bolt and am happy to use that.
      Most of my jackets are lined with silk charmeuse, the queen of linings. Next choice rayon bemberg.

5. J. Penwell
    Posted August 22, 2017 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Beautiful jackets! I would have liked to see a photo of the kimono before it was cut up. It is hard to imagine how those two design elements were combined in the original piece and what you had to do to separate them. Is that possible at this point?

• Posted August 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

To J. Penwell: Thank You!
      Alas, I did not take a picture of the original kimono. I wish I had!
      The flowers and maple leaves were laid out first one and then the other; flowers, maple leaves, flowers, maple leaves. Where the two designs intertwined, I cut them into smaller pieces. Both jackets are pieced from many small squares and rectangles. I’ve tried to join them together so the designs flow uninterrupted. That’s the fun part!

6. ceci
    Posted August 22, 2017 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

I too would have enjoyed seeing the original kimono – its fascinating how you bring your own vision to each of your pieces!

ceci